POSTMASBURG HISTORY

 

Postmasburg was originally named Blinkklip by the former tribes and for many years it acted as an outpost for the Griqua people and as the church centre for the European farming community.


The town was eventually proclaimed in 1892 and was renamed Postmasburg in honour of Dirk Postma, the first minister of the church. The discovery of diamonds in 1918, followed by manganese assisted in the growth of this small village.


Dirk Postma

Dirk Postma