Postmasburg is located in the Northern Cape province of South Africa, approximately 170 km east of Upington, 67km north of Griquatown and 58km west south west of Danielskuil.

Originally the town was a station of the London Missionary Society called Sibiling, it became a Griqua village with the name Blinkklip. The town achieved municipal status in 1936. The town is complemented by a dam surrounded by lush, green vegetation and sparkling fountains.